Comment on page
03 Use Blocks in Quilt
// Orphan Block Quilts //
Alert: Remember to subtract the seam allowances from the measurements. PreQuilt works with finished measurements.
Remember when you measured your orphan blocks? Well, now that you have those dimensions, we can create the quilt grid. Remember to use the finished block dimensions.
- 2.Change the block width and height for the grid you'd like to use and then click on the 'Use This Grid' button.
- 4.The tab will expand. Change the number of columns and rows as desired and click on the 'Update' button.
- 5.Your quilt will be resized.
To be able to treat each of your orphan blocks as blocks in PreQuilt, we need to create them. But instead of reverse engineering them, we can create simple square blocks and use the orphan block image to fill the square.
- 2.The tab will expand. Click on the 'Make Custom Block' button.
- 5.Click on the 'Scale to Fit' button in the central Toolbar. The square will expand to fill the entire Block Editor Canvas.Square shape scaled to fit and selected.
- 6.With the shape selected (indicated by the outline, as seen in image above), click on the 'Prints' tab on the Left Side Control Panel.
- 7.Click on the 'Select' button for the orphan block you'd like to use. In this example, I'm using B01.
- 8.The image of your orphan block will be repeated to fill the block space. To resize it to fit the block properly, change the numbers for the 'Scale' of the image.
Tiled orphan block image.Scaled orphan block image to fill entire block size.
- Tip: To resize quickly, press the shift key while using the arrow buttons on the keyboard. The number will increase or decrease by increments of 10.
- 9.Once scaled as desired, click on the 'Disk' button in to top right corner of the window. Then click on 'Save to Quilt'.
- 10.Repeat Steps 02.1-8 for all orphan blocks. In this example, I have 16 unique digital orphan blocks.4 of 16 digital orphan blocks
Now that we have all the orphan blocks recreated as digital blocks, we can now add them to your quilt to visualize.